The Accessible Information Standard aims to ensure that people who have a disability or sensory loss receive information that they can access and understand, for example in large print, braille or via email, and professional communication support if they need it, for example from a British Sign Language interpreter.
The Standard requires organisations that provide NHS or adult social care, including GP surgeries, to:
- Ask people if they have any information or communication needs, and find out how to meet their needs
- Record those needs clearly and in a set way
- Highlight or flag the person’s file or notes so it is clear that they have information or communication needs and how to meet those needs
- Share people’s information and communication needs with other providers of NHS and adult social care, when they have consent or permission to do so
- Take steps to ensure that people receive information which they can access and understand, and receive communication support if they need it
Please tell us if you have any specific requirements and we will also be asking patients about their needs, for example we are changing our new patient registration form to reflect this requirement.
This poster Information Standard provides clear information on how we can help.